Like a pretty flared skirt
Hand cut and etched from repurposed plastic milk bottles, these pretty long tassel earrings are an easy wear option for any occasion.
I have created these tassels by cutting and thinly slicing the flat triangular section from the bottom of a milk bottle!
Cords with tassels have been used since the 14th century to represent levels of learning.
Tassels have also been used throughout history to adorn many things, including clothing and uniforms, and to differentiate people in the military or religious fields. The graduation tassel attached to a mortarboard for a university or academic institution, represents a belonging to a particular group that has completed its goals.
My aim for this collection, was to:
- Reduce waste (or remove it from the waste cycle), and
- Reuse a product, by
- Repurposing it into something new
The outcome is this R3 collection! All of the earrings available in this selection are up cycled using NZ plastic milk bottles, and – ultimately -reduce plastic waste.
I have just written a blog post about the R3 collection – you can read about it here.
A unique take on the classic tassel form, these flared earrings are another distinctive way to reduce, reuse and repurpose our plastic waste, down to zero!
What makes these long tassel earrings so fabulous?
- Lovingly handmade by me, especially for you, in my garden-outlook Titirangi home studio.
- Each earring’s hook is hand crafted (by me) from 0.8mm (20ga) 100% recycled Sterling Silver wire.
- The flat bottom section of half a milk bottle is cut and attached to a nickel free, recycled Sterling Silver earring hook.
- They measure 8cm (3.2″) from the top of the hook to the lowest section, and are up to 4cm wide (1.5″) at the flared end of the tassel.
- They are a beautiful translucent white, due to the base milk bottle plastic material they are up cycled from.
- Perfect for the eco-conscious individual
- A sustainably elegant gift or treasure to keep, designed and handcrafted in New Zealand
- Comes lovingly packaged in a special eco gift box
Please note you are getting a new pair – not the exact pair being modelled here. Your pair will look almost identical, but there may be very slight variations due to the nature of handmade. This is not seen as a fault.
To wear: it is a good idea to use the rubber stoppers (or butterflies) on these earrings at the back – otherwise you might find they’re so light, they fly away!
Your order will take 1-3 business days to create before it is shipped from New Zealand.
If this item is being sent overseas, you will need to upgrade the shipping to International Courier, as it is a customised piece. This is a faster and safer (tracked) option.
Is this purchase a special gift?
My Premium Gift Wrapping Service includes a small kete (woven flax) bag and a homemade gift card.
A handwritten message inside the card is included and the gift may be sent directly to the recipient if desired.
You can read more about my use of environmentally friendly jewellery materials here.
If you would like to know more about me and behind the scenes at Curlicue NZ, look here.